16 May PARTNERSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT
SOS Children’s Villages International IOR EASF & StarTimes Digital Media join hands!
On 14 May 2018, Digital Television Company StarTimes Media and SOS Children’s Villages International
signed a Memorandum of Understanding (‘MOU’) that will see the two organizations partner towards
supporting vulnerable families and children, with an emphasis on empowering youth in light of the
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (‘SDGs’).
Startimes International Holdings Limited (“ST”) is a multinational media company headquartered in Hong Kong and has become a major system integrator, technology provider, network operator, and content provider in African television broadcasting industry.
In this context, ST is assisting to ensure that African media development progresses to the next level in digital television broadcasting. ST is now the key partner to Africa in its effort to migrate from analogue to digital, thus bringing multiple economic and social benefits to local communities and national stakeholders.
ST is assisting to ensure that the African continent and media development progresses to the next level in digital television broadcasting. ST is now the key partner to Africa in her effort to migrate from analogue to digital. The objective of ST is to support economic and social development of African people and African countries.
10 000 African Villages Project:
Chinese President Xi Jinping announced that China would implement satellite TV programs for 10,000 African villages on December 4th, 2015 when he was delivering a keynote speech at the opening ceremony of the Johannesburg Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation. As Africa’s leading digital TV operator, StarTimes is to undertake the project of “Access to Satellite TV for 10,000 African Villages” and accomplish the project under the guide of Chinese and African governments.
The project is part of China-Africa people-to-people exchanges program, which is significant to boost the cooperation between China and Africa. To implement satellite TV programs for 10,000 African villages and enable more African rural families to watch satellite TV are highly in accordance with StarTimes’ corporate vision: “To ensure that every African family can access, afford, watch and share the beauty of digital TV”.
Initial countries of cooperation:
This is a regional MOU, therefore each NA will also craft a locally relevant agreement based on the local capacities of the respective parties.
A partnership toolkit and guideline will be made available to MAs following the signing of the Regional Agreement
We are looking to expand to new countries as the StarTimes footprint grows in Africa.
What StarTimes potentially offers SOS CVI in a partnership:
- To collaborate with and promote decent work and employment opportunities for young people on the continent through access to internship placements, technical and vocational skills training as well as mentorships to enter in the working world – depending on local countries regulations
and ST country branch capacity
- To support IOR-ESAF programmes or mutually-agreed upon projects by different means such as donation of equipment or media exposure
- To engage in media activities – this would include (but is not limited to) cobranding activities, a regional signing event and national events where cooperation is implemented
- To enhance awareness among African population by airing short videos on StarTimes Guide channel.
- Access to satellite television – hardware and viewing packages